I see that karaf is starting an obr subproject, "cave", just added to the karaf sandbox.  Can you tell how similar this is to your goals?

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/karaf/sandbox/jbonofre/cave/trunk/

I haven't had time to look into your proposal yet.  I have one question, how do you figure out maven coordinates in the geronimo repository for a bundle that only has a symbolic name?

thanks
david jencks