geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Yi Xiao <xiaoyijhondeve...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] The OBR feature in Geronimo3.0
Date Mon, 15 Aug 2011 09:37:49 GMT
Hi David,

The difference between the obr:deploy and the obr:geronimo-install is:
obr:deploy just install the bundle and the dependent bundles in OSGi
framework, if the server shutdown and start with -clean, the bundles will
not exist any more; The obr:geronimo-install will persist the bundles into
Geronimo's local repository if the bundle resource's url does not start with
"mvn:"

The most common usage of the obr: geronimo-install shell command should be:
1 the user already has or creates a new OBR repository;
2 the user want to install a bundle in the OBR repository into our Geronimo,
and the bundle depends on lots of bundles(in this OBR or other remote OBRs);
Now, the shell command will persist the bundles to Geronimo's local repo.
I think the advantage is when next startup of Geronimo server with -clean,
the user won't lost the target bundle and its dependencies.
It will be benefit when develop a bundle application that depends on lots of
other bundles, the user need not always download many bundles from remote
site.

The Cave is a great tool and I've try it locally.
I think maybe we could use Cave to create the Geronimo's local repo, if
Geronimo want to adopt a more flexible repository management, the Cave will
be a good choice!

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 2:48 PM, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com>wrote:

> Hi Yi,
>
> I chatted with jbonofre a little bit on IRC and don't quite understand what
> you are trying to do.  According to jbonofre, installing the set of resolved
> bundles suggested by obr is already implemented for a long time by
>
> obr:deploy
>
> and (as of yesterday?)
>
> osgi:install obr:id/version
>
> He also gave me this link to show cave in action a little bit.... it may
> not work for more than a day or so...
> http://pastie.org/2360003
>
> My impression is that cave is oriented toward managing the set of remote
> repositories that are accessible to the obr resolver and that once the obr
> resolver has finished suggesting a set of bundles that satisfy the
> requirements then the "install bundles" step is already implemented.
>
> If the goals of your work are this close to the existing functionality and
> what is going into cave I really think that contributing to cave will be a
> better use of your time and make your work more widely useful.
>
> thanks
> david jencks
>
> <http://pastie.org/2360003>
> On Aug 11, 2011, at 11:13 PM, Yi Xiao wrote:
>
> Hi David,
>
> I look into the cave project, its target is to create a obr repository and
> the function is similar to geronimo-obr,
> However, the feature I want to add is when install a bundle to geronimo,
> should resolve and install its dependent bundles to ensure the target bundle
> resolve successfully.
>
> On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 1:18 PM, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com>wrote:
>
>> I really think you should look at what karaf is doing in cave.  I don't
>> think we really need two projects with such similar aims.
>>
>> For mvn: urls, the pax maven url handler will resolve and fetch mvn urls
>> from all the maven repos it knows about.  Presumably you will have
>> configured pax-maven-url with the repos you are interested in accepting
>> artifacts from.
>>
>> why would geronimo need to parse the obr urls in etc/config.properties?
>>  Doesn't whatever put them  there know to look for them?
>>
>> thanks
>> david jencks
>>
>> On Aug 11, 2011, at 10:10 PM, Yi Xiao wrote:
>>
>> OK, the obr:addurl is greate!
>>
>> Should we parse the etc/config.properties to add the urls when the server
>> start up?
>>
>> For the "mvn" url, I will look into it and find a suitable way!
>>
>> thanks~
>>
>> On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 12:28 PM, Jarek Gawor <jgawor@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> 2) obr:addurl is persistent. The obr urls are stored in the
>>> etc/config.properties file.
>>> 3) During obr resolution optional resources are discovered

--
Best regards!

               John Xiao