geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Rex Wang <rwo...@gmail.com>
Subject PortOffset for o.a.karaf.shell.ssh
Date Tue, 30 Aug 2011 09:29:30 GMT
Hi Devs

I send this mail to only Geronimo mailing list because I hope we could
discuss it first before we request this ability in karaf.

Currently, in Geronimo 3.0, all the port/portoffset settings have been
unified in config-substitutions.properties like before, except the settings
for o.a.karaf.shell.ssh.
karaf.shell.ssh can help user access our shell from remote through the port
8101. In Geronimo startup script, by setting
CONSOLE_OPTS=-Dkaraf.startLocalConsole=true *-Dkaraf.startRemoteShell=true*,
we can enable this feature. It retrieves the settings in
/etc/org.apache.karaf.shell.cfg from config admin service.
However, it did not define the port offset value. If user wanna start 2
server instances in one machine, he has to manually set the portoffset in
config-substitutions and also modify the "sshPort" in the
/etc/org.apache.karaf.shell.cfg. Otherwise, the port 8101 will only work for
the server instance that start later.

The question is, if we want karaf add the ability to set the port offset,
how do we hope them implement it? They indeed can simply add a setting in
org.apache.karaf.shell.cfg named "sshPortoffset" to do this. But our user
still need change 2 places if they want to change the portoffset. Shall we
persuade them to add the ability to load the settings from a location(i.e.
var/config-substitutions.properties for us) or there are better practices?

David, IIRC, you ever mentioned you hope get rid of the config-substitutions
in future geronimo. Then how to unify the portoffset settings, that is,
changing in one place will make all components take the effect?

Any insights?

thanks,
--
Lei Wang (Rex)