geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: PortOffset for o.a.karaf.shell.ssh
Date Tue, 30 Aug 2011 16:28:50 GMT
Hi Rex,

I don't have a good idea how to do something like this in karaf.  It would have to work through
config admin since any service opening a socket should get the port from config admin (the
shell does).  So I think we would need some kind of config admin administration tool that
would shift all the port values by some constant.  I haven't looked into anything about how
to implement something like this.

thanks
david jencks

On Aug 30, 2011, at 2:29 AM, Rex Wang wrote:

> Hi Devs
>
> I send this mail to only Geronimo mailing list because I hope we could discuss it first
before we request this ability in karaf.

> Currently, in Geronimo 3.0, all the port/portoffset settings have been unified in config-substitutions.properties
like before, except the settings for o.a.karaf.shell.ssh.
> karaf.shell.ssh can help user access our shell from remote through the port 8101. In
Geronimo startup script, by setting CONSOLE_OPTS=-Dkaraf.startLocalConsole=true -Dkaraf.startRemoteShell=true,
we can enable this feature. It retrieves the settings in /etc/org.apache.karaf.shell.cfg from
config admin service.
> However, it did not define the port offset value. If user wanna start 2 server instances
in one machine, he has to manually set the portoffset in config-substitutions and also modify
the "sshPort" in the /etc/org.apache.karaf.shell.cfg. Otherwise, the port 8101 will only work
for the server instance that start later.

> The question is, if we want karaf add the ability to set the port offset, how do we hope
them implement it? They indeed can simply add a setting in org.apache.karaf.shell.cfg named
"sshPortoffset" to do this. But our user still need change 2 places if they want to change
the portoffset. Shall we persuade them to add the ability to load the settings from a location(i.e.
var/config-substitutions.properties for us) or there are better practices?

> David, IIRC, you ever mentioned you hope get rid of the config-substitutions in future
geronimo. Then how to unify the portoffset settings, that is, changing in one place will make
all components take the effect?