geronimo-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Russell E Glaue <rgl...@cait.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Geronimo 3.0 Release
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2011 13:41:18 GMT


On 08/23/2011 11:10 PM, Kevan Miller wrote:
>
> On Aug 23, 2011, at 11:09 AM, Russell E Glaue wrote:
>
>> If we want the community to help us test the jetty assembly, do we release it too
- somehow?
>
> Yes, I think so.
>
>>
>> Can we comment out the jetty assemblies for a release, as you said, then uncomment
them and produce a "3.0 Beta" for the jetty assembly?
>>
>> Is it appropriate to have a tomcat assembly in 3.0, but the jetty assemblies in 3.0-Beta?
 I understand this potentially could be confusing. Is it necessary for the community to test
a version that is not a daily-released snapshot? Or do we rely on the community testing the
jetty assemblies only from the snapshot releases, for providing feedback?
>
> As we currently maintain the source in a single source distribution, this would be awkward/difficult.
It might be possible, but not desirable, IMO
>
> Released versions make things much easier. "I'm running on M2 and I've got a problem"
is much easier to deal with than "I have a problem on trunk". For the latter, the questions
are when did you build? What dependencies are you using? etc, etc.
>
> Releases give us something to talk about. They mark progress. They set expectations.
 We're way overdue and I don't want to wait any longer... :)
>
> --kevan

I agree. In my other post in another part of this thread, I was saying we need 
to release 3.0 even with jetty assemblies not stable. This will give us 
something to ask the community to help us test and provide feedback on the jetty 
assemblies.

I for one will be one of those community testers.

The question I raised here is do we do one of the following in order to release 
a 3.0 final:
1. release a final 3.0 without jetty assemblies, and tell the community to test 
the jetty assemblies from the snapshots.
- You don't prefer this, and neither do I. But this thread was seeming to lead 
in this direction.
2. release a 3.0-beta with jetty assemblies, and then immediately release a 
final 3.0 without jetty assemblies.
- This seems confusing, but I felt better than option 1.

If we are fine with releasing a beta, and not a final, then neither of these 
options are necessary to consider.

And it would seem we are now going for a Beta release, which seems to be a good 
decision from my viewpoint.

-RG

Mime
View raw message