geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] The OBR feature in Geronimo3.0
Date Fri, 12 Aug 2011 03:43:24 GMT
I see that karaf is starting an obr subproject, "cave", just added to the karaf sandbox.  Can
you tell how similar this is to your goals?

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/karaf/sandbox/jbonofre/cave/trunk/

I haven't had time to look into your proposal yet.  I have one question, how do you figure
out maven coordinates in the geronimo repository for a bundle that only has a symbolic name?

thanks
david jencks

On Aug 11, 2011, at 3:15 AM, Yi Xiao wrote:

> Hi Jark, I'v seen your comments in 5939 and reference here for convenience
> 1) Don't forget about the license headers.
> 2) The geronimo-addUrl shell command and related code is unnecessary. There is already
obr:addurl operation.
> 3) When doing geronimo-install would be good to also specify whether the optional resources
should also be downloaded and installed.
> 4) Can't ThreadPool be injected into ObrBundleInstallerGBean just like the repository
is (instead of doing Kernel lookup)?
> 5) GeronimoGBean could also be injected instead of doing OSGi service lookup.
> 6) You shouldn't need to add LOCAL_OBR into repository. That's what GeronimoOBRGBean
does already.
> 7) The filter created in ObrUtils.searchRepository() essentially specifies to find a
bundle with the given symbolic name and the minimal version. That is, for example, the user
specified foo,1.0 but the install might result in installing foo,2.0. I think we want to match
the exact version. Or maybe we want to support version ranges.
> 8) The way the code currently decides whether the resource is "local" or not is not very
reliable. So we might need to find another way or improve Felix OBR.

> 1) I will add the license headers
> 2) I think the geronimo-addurl command should record the urls into a file, and geronimo-obr
will read the urls and add them so I write the command, however, I don't decide which file
to write and read, do you think we need to record the urls?
> 3) Do you mean the "optional resources" is the dependencies of the target bundle or something
else?
> 4), 5), 6) I will resolve it
> 7) I've test the scenario you described and there is no such confusion. However, I think
support the version ranges is a good idea!
> 8) Now the "local" resources are the ones whose url start with "mvn:". The implementation
is: When install a bundle, if the bundle is local, will verify its existence, if not existed,
will throw an exception; If the bundle is remote, just download it and install it into geronimo
repository.

> On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 1:23 PM, Jarek Gawor <jgawor@gmail.com> wrote:
> There is already obr:addurl command so obr:geronimo-addurl is
> unnecessary. I added all my comments to GERONIMO-5939.
>
> Jarek
>
> On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 10:24 PM, Yi Xiao <xiaoyijhondevelop@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi devs,
> >
> > Now, I want to add the support of OSGi bundle repository in Geronimo3.0, the
> > patch is available at: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-5939
> > I used Felix's OBR APIs to develop and add  THREE karaf shells to control
> > the OBR in geronimo:
> >
> > 1 obr:geronimo-addurl url
> > Add a remote repository to the geronimo's repositoryAdmin.
> >
> > 2 obr:geronimo-install [--start | --startLevel num | -v]
> > symbolicName,version
> > Install a bundle into geronimo in OBR way.
> > first, resolve the bundle, if resolve failed, return directly and print the
> > unsatisfactory conditions to user;
> > second, download the bundle and its dependencies from the remote sites to
> > local;
> > third, deploy all the bundles into geronimo repository and install them into
> > OSGi framework;
> > finally, update the geronimo's obr.xml file.
> >
> > 3 obr:geronimo-uninstall symbolicName,version
> > Uninstall a bundle from geronimo in OBR way.
> > Compared with the osgi:uninstall, the OBR's uninstall will clean up the
> > geronimo's repository and startup.properties file, also update the obr.xml
> > file.
> >
> > Any suggestions ?
> >
> > --
> > Best regards!