geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Geronimo 3.0 Release
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2011 04:10:17 GMT

On Aug 23, 2011, at 11:09 AM, Russell E Glaue wrote:

> If we want the community to help us test the jetty assembly, do we release it too - somehow?

Yes, I think so.

> Can we comment out the jetty assemblies for a release, as you said, then uncomment them
and produce a "3.0 Beta" for the jetty assembly?

> Is it appropriate to have a tomcat assembly in 3.0, but the jetty assemblies in 3.0-Beta?
 I understand this potentially could be confusing. Is it necessary for the community to test
a version that is not a daily-released snapshot? Or do we rely on the community testing the
jetty assemblies only from the snapshot releases, for providing feedback?

As we currently maintain the source in a single source distribution, this would be awkward/difficult.
It might be possible, but not desirable, IMO

Released versions make things much easier. "I'm running on M2 and I've got a problem" is much
easier to deal with than "I have a problem on trunk". For the latter, the questions are when
did you build? What dependencies are you using? etc, etc.

Releases give us something to talk about. They mark progress. They set expectations.  We're
way overdue and I don't want to wait any longer... :)

--kevan