geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Geronimo 3.0 Release
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2011 03:47:22 GMT

On Aug 18, 2011, at 12:05 PM, Russell E Glaue wrote:

> I assume Geronimo 3.0 will be released without dependencies on 3rd party SNAPSHOTs. Correct?

Any release we do will be free of *snapshot* dependencies. However, there have been instances
where we (and other apache projects) have generated point-in-time releases of another project's
software. IMO, it's ok to do that for milestones and even a beta. However, I'm not inclined
to use that technique for major releases (e.g. 3.0) -- where we are expecting to support the
software for sometime. And we want the support of other communities to assist in this... In
the case for a milestone or beta -- our support vehicle will be the 3.0 release.

> I agree with Ivan and Forrest, under this condition. If we can switch all 3rd party SNAPSHOT
dependencies to full-release dependencies, then we should make the move despite having the
Jetty variant fully ready.

> In making the switch to 3rd party full-releases, this stabilizes Geronimo's development
and will allow for more thorough (longer testing period) and tried testing of the Jetty variant
both by the Developers and the Community.

> If we cannot switch away from 3rd party SNAPSHOT dependencies, then any testing the community
does on the Jetty variant will become more and more obsolete every day as new (daily) 3rd
party SNAPSHOTs are released.

I think the question is -- is the Jetty assembly stable enough to provide some value to our
users? And stable enough that we'll be able to gather useful feedback? If so, then I'm in
favor of releasing. If not, then we should keep it out of the release.

My preference would be for a milestone/beta release and to include the jetty distribution.
With known issues clearly identified.

--kevan