geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Ivan <xhh...@gmail.com>
Subject Support inPlace deployment and shareLib in Geronimo 3.0 ?
Date Wed, 27 Jul 2011 09:22:19 GMT
Hi, since it is possible to point to a directory with reference style URL, I
am thinking that we might consider to support inPlace deployment and
ShareLib.

For inPlace deployment, in the past, a file inPlaceLocation.config will be
created  in the target META-INF folder, which keeps the real location of the
deployed application. In Geronimo 3.0, I am thinking to use the similar way
to do this, the difference is that some installation codes are required to
updated, e.g. If it detects a inPlaceLocation.config file, a reference URL
is constructed to install the bundle, other the mvn style. Also, those
serialized files like config.ser might need to be saved in the application's
directory, not the corresponding folder in the repository, which we did in
the past. One of the concern is that, some codes always assume the locations
of the bundles are of mvn style, might need to make them work with reference
URL.

Shared library is a hot topic, and we have discussed it for many times in
the past. Yes, I agree that the way of shared library breaks the OSGi
classloading style. But, if searching our mail list, you might find many
users have asked for it. Although Geronimo provides ways to install library
in the repository, guess that no one have the patience to install all the
dependent jar files in the repository and add the dependencies in the
deployment plan. The idea is that, a new bundle will be started in the
sharedlib GBean, also, that bundle will be added to the list of the
delegating bundle. Except for the useEnvironemnt flag, it is also required
to use delegating bundle once the configuration or its parent contains
shared lib gbean. I am thinking that we might record some information in the
data area in the bundle.

Just some rough ideas,  not sure whether they work, also not sure whether
there is still time to do this and what is effect to current components.
Thoughts ?
Thanks.
--
Ivan