geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: buildup of files in var/cache
Date Sat, 23 Jul 2011 04:08:00 GMT

On Jul 22, 2011, at 10:45 PM, Ivan wrote:

> Suppose you mean the OSGi cache directory ? On the server runtime, the size of this directory
should be almost have the same size with the repository folder, as all the files would be
copied.

Right. I'm not worried about relatively static content. I am worried about consuming more
and more disk space and never freeing it...

> For the 12 GB var/cache directory size, there should be a leak issue somewhere,

There's definitely a leak. As mentioned, I see two megabytes leaked for every deploy/undeploy
of a very simple JSP web app.

> a. In the deployment process, the deployer will deploy a temp bundle in the cache for
builder analysis, maybe it is not uninstalled correctly due to some exceptions.
> b. In the undeployment process, Geronimo did not invoke uninstall for the undeployed
application due to unknown reason ?
> c. Some exported classes of the undeployed application are wired with other bundles,
so the OSGi runtime will keep it there until the framework is restarted. Considering the current
package generation mechanism, should not happen.
> Think that if we could reproduce the issue, it should be easy to fix. Also, I am also
thinking that there is no need to package the temp bundle, just use the target directory.
which mentioned in another thread in the mail list.

It's extremely easy to recreate. Choose and application and deploy/undeploy it a few times...
'du -h var/cache' or similar to monitor disk space between iterations...

--kevan