geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <>
Subject Re: no redeploy option for JSP files
Date Sat, 04 Jun 2011 08:00:05 GMT

On Jun 4, 2011, at 12:03 AM, Kevan Miller wrote:

> I took a look to see if "no re-deployment when only JSP files are updated" option on
the 3.0 server adapter was working.
> I couldn't get it to work. The server adapter is attempting to update JSP files to an
exploded directory structure. This fails since applications are packaged in a .car archive.
I tried directly editing JSP files in an archive. These edits aren't being detected by Jasper
(I configured development mode).
> Does anybody know of a way to get this to work, currently? It's time, IMO, to stop storing
apps in a .car archive.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.  Not a .car or not an archive?

> Wondering if there's an option, in the interim to prevent redeploys...
> Also, the server adapter option seems to be limited to JSP files. Would be nice if this
feature could be supported for other files (.html, .css, etc...). Has there been discussion
of this?

Any kind of application after deployment has to look like a bundle to osgi.  A WAB already
does.  A plain war needs to have its manifest updated.  If it looks like a bundle, we can
store the geronimo "compiled plan" in the data area if necessary as we do now for WABs.  Then
we can tell osgi about it with a reference:file url and it won't get copied.  If an IDE doesn't
mind us updating the manifest in its workspace theoretically we could deploy directly from
such a workspace, unpacked.

Another option is to configure the default servlet (for static content) and jsp servlet to
point to file system locations of these files rather than the "in-app" locations.

I think the second option is more likely to be plausible for 3.0, and the first would be more
practical for the approach in the 3.0-osgi branch.

david jencks

> --kevan

View raw message