geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Progress on osgi-friendliness
Date Wed, 01 Jun 2011 04:25:39 GMT

On May 31, 2011, at 10:47 AM, Kevan Miller wrote:

> On May 31, 2011, at 1:44 AM, David Jencks wrote:
>
>> Locally I now have a server that runs eba-with-isolation using aries trunk and fixes
a lot of the tck problems that showed up with this version.  However due to a problem with
aries proxies changing the SerialVersionUID if it is not hardcoded on every serializable class
I've had to add SerialVersionUID to a few hundred classes across several projects.  IMO most
of these classes shouldn't have hardcoded serialVersionUIDs because they are not really intended
for long-term compatibility and people will update the classes and forget to update the SerialVersionUID.

>> The new aries proxy code also seems to consume significantly more permgen space.
 I didn't investigate in detail but a full server runs out of permgen space around half way
through starting with 128 MB permgen.  My server started OK with 1024 MB permgen.

> I'd be interested to see how much more memory it's using... Do you have a new drop of
source? In what cases will Aries be building a proxy?

I pushed a binary and source zip onto my people.apache site.  IIUC the weaving code modifies
every class for aop and this aop-ization is also used for proxies.  I could easily understand
wrong.

>> It's possible to get eba-with-isolation working with a patched 0.3 aries but it looks
like aries have made a backwards incompatible change to their project structure that makes
releasing bug fixes for 0.3 implausible.

> I read the aries list (pretty quickly). I would think that it would be possible to insert
a 0.3.1 fix release and move their trunk to 0.3.2. But I've probably not thought enough about
the problem?

> From the looks of things, I think we want to avoid their current trunk.

I'd rather stay on trunk but every time I make a change there's a new problem.  Most recently
the jcdi tests are mostly failing with a claim that all the beans have a final method.   I
don't see why there can't be a 0.3.0.1 release.

>> To get the eba-with-isolation sample to work I had to add a lot of import-packages
for jasper, el, and other internal classes.   This seems like a bad idea.... I'm wondering
if I missed something about how this is supposed to work.  I'd expect this to be a problem
for jsps in a wab as well.... how does the wab deployer deal with this?

>> I'm not exactly sure how to proceed here...
>
> Is it possible to run without isolation? I'd very much rather see a more converged codebase.
If we could run without isolation and minimize regression errors, that would be a big bonus,
I think...

I don't know how to turn isolation off very easily.  I think it would mean installing a different
set of aries bundles.  I also think there are some other fixes to 0.3 that we'll need if we
go that route so we'd need a non-trunk release anyway.  I asked again on the aries dev list
about a 0.3 bugfix release, lets see what they say.

thanks
david jencks