geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Add Java EE schema files to Geronimo Server?
Date Wed, 22 Jun 2011 19:24:18 GMT

On Jun 22, 2011, at 10:05 AM, Rex Wang wrote:

> Hi Geronimo and OpenEJB devs,
>
> I am fixing the servlet tck problems. And it requires to validate the standard Deployment
Descriptors xml files before deployment.
> Now we use the org.apache.openejb.jee.JaxbJavaee to do the unmarshal, for example, a
web.xml to a WebApp object. So we need add the validation procedure there. But before that,
I think the first thing we should consider is to place the schemas (i.e. xsd files from http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee/)
somewhere, so that we can create the Schema object from them easily and quickly.
> So, I am asking:
> 1. Where is the appropriate place to hold these xsd files? Openejb project?

You are implying that the .xsd files are required in svn and could not be used from their
current locations, e.g. http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee/application_6.xsd or other non-svn
locations... Which is probably true...

If the Jaxb code is in OpenEJB, then OpenEJB would seem like the natural location. Where ever
the JaxbJavaee code is, I think the schema's belong there, also...

> 2. Is there any legal problem we distribute Geronimo server with these xsd files packaged
in?

No, there isn't a problem. The schema's are dual licensed -- GPL v2 and CDDL. Normally, these
are unacceptable source licenses for apache projects. Note that CDDL is an acceptable license
for binary-only dependencies (no CDDL source code). However, there is an exception made for
this very case -- small amounts of source code that is unlikely to be changed (e.g. when the
source represents a "standard").

For more information, see http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-b

In terms of LICENSE/NOTICE files -- include the dual license (GPL + CDDL) and we make explicit
that we choose CDDL.

> 3. We also need a xsd file (http://www.w3.org/2001/xml.xsd) form W3.org. It is in public
domain, isn't it?

There's a W3C license. See -- http://opensource.org/licenses/W3C.php