geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [QUESTION]Is it OK to apply customized DOJO to geornimo from legal perspective ?
Date Wed, 22 Jun 2011 15:03:53 GMT

On Jun 22, 2011, at 1:30 AM, Shawn Jiang wrote:

> We rebuild dojo locally to only include the dojo components geronimo console needs. It's
a popular method to use dojo.   It will reduce server size, startup time,and page loading
time.   I don't know if we have any problem to apply the patch[1] from legal's perspective.

> I think we can't host these customized dojo source code,  but we could use the way we
did to dojo legacy[2]. to put customized dojo binary to local repository.   And then include
it to portal-driver or console-core at build time.

> Thoughts ?

It should be ok, IMO. In general, it would be ideal if the customization process could be
automated as part of our build. However, if that's not practical, then we can include the
customized version in our svn.

Dojo is dual licensed: BSD and Academic Free License 2.1.

http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-a describes the licenses which the ASF
feels are similar to the Apache License 2.0.  BSD and AFL 3.0 are included in this list. Looking
at AFL 2.1, I don't see anything that would be objectionable. We can verify this on legal
discuss. If there is a problem with AFL 2.1, we can simply choose the BSD license.

--kevan