geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Add Java EE schema files to Geronimo Server?
Date Wed, 22 Jun 2011 20:08:26 GMT

On Jun 22, 2011, at 12:24 PM, Kevan Miller wrote:

> On Jun 22, 2011, at 10:05 AM, Rex Wang wrote:
>
>> Hi Geronimo and OpenEJB devs,
>>
>> I am fixing the servlet tck problems. And it requires to validate the standard Deployment
Descriptors xml files before deployment.
>> Now we use the org.apache.openejb.jee.JaxbJavaee to do the unmarshal, for example,
a web.xml to a WebApp object. So we need add the validation procedure there. But before that,
I think the first thing we should consider is to place the schemas (i.e. xsd files from http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee/)
somewhere, so that we can create the Schema object from them easily and quickly.
>> So, I am asking:
>> 1. Where is the appropriate place to hold these xsd files? Openejb project?
>
> You are implying that the .xsd files are required in svn and could not be used from their
current locations, e.g. http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee/application_6.xsd or other non-svn
locations... Which is probably true...

These files are needed at runtime to construct the Schema object used for validation.  So
IMO they need to be in any binary distribution so validation works without an internet connection.
 So I think including them in svn and source makes what's going on clear and is much simpler.

> If the Jaxb code is in OpenEJB, then OpenEJB would seem like the natural location. Where
ever the JaxbJavaee code is, I think the schema's belong there, also...

that's openejb.

thanks
david jencks

>> 2. Is there any legal problem we distribute Geronimo server with these xsd files
packaged in?

> No, there isn't a problem. The schema's are dual licensed -- GPL v2 and CDDL. Normally,
these are unacceptable source licenses for apache projects. Note that CDDL is an acceptable
license for binary-only dependencies (no CDDL source code). However, there is an exception
made for this very case -- small amounts of source code that is unlikely to be changed (e.g.
when the source represents a "standard").