geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: How assemblies are built
Date Tue, 21 Jun 2011 20:16:24 GMT
Hi Gary,

A geronimo server includes  the ability to install geronimo plugins, which contain a list
of maven-style dependencies that are pulled in from a maven-like repository.  So the assembly
step at build time fires up a micro-geronimo-server and feeds it the list of plugins (from
maven pom dependencies) and the local maven repo location and lets it install all the plugins,
resulting in the server that gets packaged.

Most of the code that does this is in framework/modules/geronimo-plugin.

This is similar in concept to karaf features (a list of bundles) and a karaf-maven-plugin
goal that assembles a karaf instance out of features (and kar files, which can also contain
various resources).  I expect that after certification is complete we'll move geronimo to
use these karaf tools and pretty much drop plugins.  There's some work along these lines in
the branches/3.0-osgi branch but it may not work with current karaf trunk since I haven't
had time to update it in a month or two.

thanks
david jencks

On Jun 21, 2011, at 10:46 AM, Gary Shin wrote:

> Hi,
>     I am trying to understand the internals of Geronimo build system, which plugin or
module is used to download the libraries/jars into the repository directory of assemblies.
Any help is really appreciated.

> Precisely i'm trying to look for the code/maven configuration which will create the whole
directory structure of assemblies and download the required resources into the repository
folder.