Locally I now have a server that runs eba-with-isolation using aries trunk and fixes a lot of the tck problems that showed up with this version.  However due to a problem with aries proxies changing the SerialVersionUID if it is not hardcoded on every serializable class I've had to add SerialVersionUID to a few hundred classes across several projects.  IMO most of these classes shouldn't have hardcoded serialVersionUIDs because they are not really intended for long-term compatibility and people will update the classes and forget to update the SerialVersionUID.

The new aries proxy code also seems to consume significantly more permgen space.  I didn't investigate in detail but a full server runs out of permgen space around half way through starting with 128 MB permgen.  My server started OK with 1024 MB permgen.

It's possible to get eba-with-isolation working with a patched 0.3 aries but it looks like aries have made a backwards incompatible change to their project structure that makes releasing bug fixes for 0.3 implausible.

To get the eba-with-isolation sample to work I had to add a lot of import-packages for jasper, el, and other internal classes.   This seems like a bad idea.... I'm wondering if I missed something about how this is supposed to work.  I'd expect this to be a problem for jsps in a wab as well.... how does the wab deployer deal with this?

I'm not exactly sure how to proceed here...

david jencks

On May 19, 2011, at 9:50 AM, Forrest Xia wrote:

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 8:47 AM, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:
This version had some problems such as the standalone commands (e.g. deploy) and the app client not starting.  I've fixed these and started integrating the aries 0.3 eba-with-isolation stuff.  The server starts for me but I haven't tried anything with eba yet beyond seeing that the bundles start.  I've also figured out an easier way to generate a source bundle.  Latest is at


any comments would be great!

I've manually tried appclient, assembly, compat12, samples, some of ejb, and some of interop tck test buckets, so far so good :-) 

Now I am managing to run a full profile with the code, it takes time, and let's wait to see.