geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Progress on osgi-friendliness
Date Tue, 31 May 2011 17:47:25 GMT

On May 31, 2011, at 1:44 AM, David Jencks wrote:

> Locally I now have a server that runs eba-with-isolation using aries trunk and fixes
a lot of the tck problems that showed up with this version.  However due to a problem with
aries proxies changing the SerialVersionUID if it is not hardcoded on every serializable class
I've had to add SerialVersionUID to a few hundred classes across several projects.  IMO most
of these classes shouldn't have hardcoded serialVersionUIDs because they are not really intended
for long-term compatibility and people will update the classes and forget to update the SerialVersionUID.

> The new aries proxy code also seems to consume significantly more permgen space.  I didn't
investigate in detail but a full server runs out of permgen space around half way through
starting with 128 MB permgen.  My server started OK with 1024 MB permgen.

I'd be interested to see how much more memory it's using... Do you have a new drop of source?
In what cases will Aries be building a proxy?

> It's possible to get eba-with-isolation working with a patched 0.3 aries but it looks
like aries have made a backwards incompatible change to their project structure that makes
releasing bug fixes for 0.3 implausible.

I read the aries list (pretty quickly). I would think that it would be possible to insert
a 0.3.1 fix release and move their trunk to 0.3.2. But I've probably not thought enough about
the problem?

From the looks of things, I think we want to avoid their current trunk.

> To get the eba-with-isolation sample to work I had to add a lot of import-packages for
jasper, el, and other internal classes.   This seems like a bad idea.... I'm wondering if
I missed something about how this is supposed to work.  I'd expect this to be a problem for
jsps in a wab as well.... how does the wab deployer deal with this?

> I'm not exactly sure how to proceed here...

Is it possible to run without isolation? I'd very much rather see a more converged codebase.
If we could run without isolation and minimize regression errors, that would be a big bonus,
I think...

--kevan