geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: LinkageError woes
Date Thu, 12 May 2011 13:00:30 GMT

On May 10, 2011, at 11:01 PM, David Blevins wrote:

> On May 10, 2011, at 6:57 PM, David Blevins wrote:
>
>> I have a hunch that eagerly loading annotations *and* enums might do the trick.
Going to see if that is the case as that might give us more information about the issue and
potentially a workaround that might be one we can stomach.  Loading all the classes eagerly
is not ok, but eagerly loading annotation and enum classes might be livable till we can find
the real issue.

> Looks like eagerly loading all the application's annotations and enums twice does the
trick.  The first time fails with the LinkageError and the second time works.

> Currently performing some magic in debugger with evaluating expressions to get this accomplished.
 Not going to codify it just yet, but if we wanted this as a hack as an implemented workaround
we'd need to use ASM to scrape and get a list of all annotation and enum classes, put that
data in perhaps a gbean that is setup to load on app startup with a dependency on the app
classloader, then have that gbean do the double load.  The xbean-finder code doesn't currently
have the ability to list annotations and enums -- we'd have to add it or scrape again.

> Hopefully we can find the real issue and not have to do that.

So, I swapped a bit more state back in (how quickly I forget). ClassFile transformation driven
by OpenJPA is causing this error. I re-opened our original Jira. I created an Equinox bug
report and they've created a patch, which seems to fix our problem.

There will be the question of how we pick up the fix within Geronimo. The patch is on Equinox
3.7 -- something we probably want to pick up anyway.

--kevan