geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Progress on osgi-friendliness
Date Tue, 31 May 2011 05:44:04 GMT
Locally I now have a server that runs eba-with-isolation using aries trunk and fixes a lot
of the tck problems that showed up with this version.  However due to a problem with aries
proxies changing the SerialVersionUID if it is not hardcoded on every serializable class I've
had to add SerialVersionUID to a few hundred classes across several projects.  IMO most of
these classes shouldn't have hardcoded serialVersionUIDs because they are not really intended
for long-term compatibility and people will update the classes and forget to update the SerialVersionUID.

The new aries proxy code also seems to consume significantly more permgen space.  I didn't
investigate in detail but a full server runs out of permgen space around half way through
starting with 128 MB permgen.  My server started OK with 1024 MB permgen.

It's possible to get eba-with-isolation working with a patched 0.3 aries but it looks like
aries have made a backwards incompatible change to their project structure that makes releasing
bug fixes for 0.3 implausible.

To get the eba-with-isolation sample to work I had to add a lot of import-packages for jasper,
el, and other internal classes.   This seems like a bad idea.... I'm wondering if I missed
something about how this is supposed to work.  I'd expect this to be a problem for jsps in
a wab as well.... how does the wab deployer deal with this?

I'm not exactly sure how to proceed here...

thanks
david jencks

On May 19, 2011, at 9:50 AM, Forrest Xia wrote:

> On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 8:47 AM, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:
> This version had some problems such as the standalone commands (e.g. deploy) and the
app client not starting.  I've fixed these and started integrating the aries 0.3 eba-with-isolation
stuff.  The server starts for me but I haven't tried anything with eba yet beyond seeing that
the bundles start.  I've also figured out an easier way to generate a source bundle.  Latest
is at

> http://people.apache.org/~djencks/geronimo-3.0-SNAPSHOT-source-release.zip
>
> any comments would be great!
>
> I've manually tried appclient, assembly, compat12, samples, some of ejb, and some of
interop tck test buckets, so far so good :-)