geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Time for trunk res
Date Mon, 25 Apr 2011 03:34:05 GMT
As you know, David Jencks has been working on restructuring Geronimo to move away from the
Geronimo's ConfigurationManager and DependencyManager and use standards based OSGi mechanisms.

I took a look at his current code -- http://people.apache.org/~djencks/22-4-2011.full.bundle
(I used git clone 'git clone ~/downloads/22-4-2011.full.bundle geronimo' and 'git checkout
arch3' to create a working copy). After running 'mvn -N' I was able to build successfully
(well build up to framework assembly at which point there's an IANAL-style check for license/notice
files). The resulting framework server starts and, IMO, things are looking pretty good.

I think it's time to start getting more eyes on this work. Assuming we like the direction,
I'd like to see this code in trunk. Allowing multiple people to start working on further integration.

An alternative would be to create a sandbox/branch for this new work. However, I'm more inclined
to go with trunk. Here's how things could work:

Create a new branch off of current trunk and use this branch for continued TCK testing. This
assumes that fixes for TCK problems do not have much overlap with changes for the new server
structure -- I think this will largely be true. This does imply that TCK fixes will need to
be merged into trunk. This seems better than other alternatives. Though I'd certainly listen
to other options/opinions.

One option for this new branch is to call it 3.0-M2 (and abandon the current M2 branch). I'd
really like to see us get a web profile compliant Milestone release. Would be useful for our
users, anyway...

I'm hopeful that our switch over to the new trunk codebase can go pretty quickly. I think
we certainly want to minimize time with two active development branches/trunks.

Thoughts?

--kevan