geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo 2.x kernel and 3.0 backward compatible
Date Mon, 14 Mar 2011 00:45:49 GMT
I'm glad you like our geronimo 2.x architecture, but I would give very serious consideration
to using osgi.    In my opinion osgi does pretty much everything we were trying to do with
the geronimo kernel/gbean/configuration structure but better and it has a lot of momentum
and a pretty large and enthusiastic community behind it.

Geronimo 2.2 kernel etc works great but I think it is extremely unlikely to be updated significantly,
made to work well with java 7, etc.  If you want to maintain it I would imagine that after
a couple patches we'll make you a committer but I would be surprised if there was a lot of
community support.

Apache karaf 3 (trunk) now has most of the maven-friendly tooling corresponding to the geronimo
tooling.  I'm extending it and working the bugs out and expect it to be more powerful than
the geronimo tooling soon.

thanks
david jencks

On Mar 12, 2011, at 4:33 PM, Ming Qin wrote:

> Geronimo Developers:
>
>    I am seeking a java microkernel-based implementation as foundation for proprietary
software product which will have a long life cycle crossing 10 years or even more.  Geronimo
microkernel (without OSGI ) seems very intuitive to me with its features IOC , GBean , Module
and Assembly.

> After downloading source code 3.o-M1, 2.2.1 and reading David Jencks’ slides-“Geronimo
3 JavaEE6 OSGI”. I would like to submit three questions about Geronimo kernel features.

> 1.       If I don’t want all OSGI enhancements in Geronimo 3,  and just like to be
stick with Geronimo 2.x kernel, which branch or tag should I work with in order to get most
updated and completed maturity on advanced features of Module and Assembly?

> 2.       Is there any efforts being poured towards Geronimo 2.x  by Geronimo community
in the sense of bug fixing, plug-in adding, technical supporting and releasing new branch
of Geronimo 2.x?