geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jarek Gawor <jga...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Time to turn off dependency change tracking in trunk?
Date Thu, 03 Mar 2011 17:14:57 GMT
Are karaf features built from the maven dependencies? If so, won't
that require the same tracking as we are doing now?

I always found the dependencies.xml useful but I guess maybe I was the
only one that paid attention to it. It prevented the server from
having too much unnecessary stuff and probably improved build time a
bit (since less stuff was getting pulled in when building a plugin).

Putting the dependencies.xml into the target directory doesn't really
help. There won't be anything to compare the dependency information
against next time you do mvn clean. So all the usefulness of
dependency tracking is gone and at that point might as well just
disable the whole thing.

So I guess I would vote -0 on this proposal. But I'll be ok with
whatever the community decides.

Jarek

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 8:05 PM, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm getting annoyed with the changes to dependency.xml during the build and I don't think
we are paying much attention to them -- I know I'm not -- and I expect we'll soon be building
karaf features instead of plugins anyway so I'd like to stop generating and comparing these
files.