geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo 3
Date Thu, 10 Mar 2011 16:10:18 GMT

On Mar 10, 2011, at 10:22 AM, Martin Storch wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> when will Geronimo 3.0 be done?

We're a few months away. We haven't set a release target, yet.

> When I use Geronimo as an App-Server, do I still need (to install) Tomcat?
> How are all these Apache-Apps are working together? I'm confused!

Geronimo creates server assemblies which embed either Tomcat or Jetty. You don't need to install
them separately. They are included in the server distribution.

> So I need Cocoon (as a web development framework) and Tomcat (as a Servlet
> Container) and still Geronimo? For what?

If you need Java EE capabilities, you'd want Geronimo. If you simply need JSP/Servlet support,
then either Tomcat, Jetty, or Geronimo can be used.

> Is "Geronimo 2.x" with Java EE 5 and "Tomcat 7.x" with JavaBeans 3.0
> compatible?

Geronimo 2.1.x and 2.2.x both support Java EE 5 (and thus the  Enterprise JavaBeans 3.0 specification).

--kevan