geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Time to turn off dependency change tracking in trunk?
Date Mon, 07 Mar 2011 19:41:56 GMT

On Mar 3, 2011, at 12:14 PM, Jarek Gawor wrote:

> Are karaf features built from the maven dependencies? If so, won't
> that require the same tracking as we are doing now?
>
> I always found the dependencies.xml useful but I guess maybe I was the
> only one that paid attention to it. It prevented the server from
> having too much unnecessary stuff and probably improved build time a
> bit (since less stuff was getting pulled in when building a plugin).

You aren't the only one that found them useful. However, in our current mode of development,
I don't think they are particularly useful. Dependencies are getting updated, but you don't
see them until you're running an svn diff (or svn commit). IMO, that's too late. I think we
have two options:

1) reenable the check that fails the build when dependencies change.
2) disable the dependency generation (or move dependencies to target), until we're ready to
start (1) again

I think we're going to need a thorough review of our dependencies. So, I'm ok with 2) until
things settle down a bit...

--kevan