geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <>
Subject Re: Geronimo 2.x kernel and 3.0 backward compatible
Date Mon, 14 Mar 2011 00:12:53 GMT

On Mar 12, 2011, at 7:33 PM, Ming Qin wrote:

> Geronimo Developers:
>    I am seeking a java microkernel-based implementation as foundation for proprietary
software product which will have a long life cycle crossing 10 years or even more.  Geronimo
microkernel (without OSGI ) seems very intuitive to me with its features IOC , GBean , Module
and Assembly.

> After downloading source code 3.o-M1, 2.2.1 and reading David Jencks’ slides-“Geronimo
3 JavaEE6 OSGI”. I would like to submit three questions about Geronimo kernel features.
> 1.       If I don’t want all OSGI enhancements in Geronimo 3,  and just like to be
stick with Geronimo 2.x kernel, which branch or tag should I work with in order to get most
updated and completed maturity on advanced features of Module and Assembly?

For your purposes, I'd recommend 2.2.x. Though 2.1.x could be used, also. To evaluate 3.0,
I'd recommend our branches/3.0-M2 branch (or trunk). Note that we're still anticipating some
significant changes to 3.0 (for instance, GBeans are likely to go away...).

> 2.       Is there any efforts being poured towards Geronimo 2.x  by Geronimo community
in the sense of bug fixing, plug-in adding, technical supporting and releasing new branch
of Geronimo 2.x?

Yes. We're still seeing bug fixes to 2.1.x and 2.2.x. And I expect that we'll see additional
2.1.x and/or 2.2.x releases. If there is sufficient interest/demand, a 2.3 release could be
developed (although I don't recall that anyone's expressed interest in this, so far). If you
and/or others wanted to participate in the community to achieve this, I doubt that there would
be any objections.

> 3.      Is Geronimo 3.0 preserving  2.x  backward compatibility?

No. Not at a kernel/gbean level. "Applications" should be compatible, but may require migration
of deployment plans.

View raw message