geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [Discussion] Update a bundle within an EBA
Date Wed, 16 Mar 2011 05:18:42 GMT
It looks to me as if the jiras just say you'd like this feature without explaining how it would
work.

Even though we don't yet have an isolation environment in geronimo, I'd like to know how this
would work if we did.

Lets say you have an EBA with bundles A, B, and C, B imports packages from A and services
from A and C, C imports packages and services from A, B, and C.  Now you want to replace B
with B' .  What are the state changes for A, B, B', and C in what order?

Can B' alter the import requirements for the EBA?

If the EBA defines an isolation environment, how does the deployer know that it should be
putting B' inside the EBA rather than outside the EBA?

If we can make this work, great, I want to be sure we won't have to rip it out again or completely
reimplement it when we have subsystems.

thanks!
david jencks

On Mar 15, 2011, at 8:06 PM, han hongfang wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would like to hear the comments for the solution proposal for updating a bundle within
an EBA, and the related JIRAs are:

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMODEVTOOLS-718 Update a bundle within an
EBA
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-5861 Update a bundle within an EBA
>
> The point of the JIRA is to ONLY re-deploy the updated bundle in EBA instead of re-assembling
and re-deploying the whole EBA to save the time in the case that the EBA is huge.

> The rough proposal is:
> Step 1. update a specified bundle using osgi:update
> Step 2. osgi:refresh the other bundles in the EBA to refresh the links to the updated
bundle

> This means that the updated bundle will be only in the cache, and in the following cases
the updated bundle will be lost, and the original bundle included in EBA archive file comes
back.
> 1. Start geronimo server with -clean option
> 2. Restart EBA application in Admin console -> Application EBAs
>
> This new feature is designed for application development phase to speed up application
testing, and it can be turned off in GEP in case that user wants to re-deploy the whole EBA
with any update.