geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <>
Subject Re: Configuring front end host for axis2 web services
Date Thu, 10 Feb 2011 17:14:29 GMT
Hi Ashish,

I was certainly thinking of X-Forwarded-Host.  I'm not clear on whether this header includes
the original port.  Google hasn't shown me much info on how other people deal with this problem.
 I did find

which appears to indicate you can configure apache httpd to not introduce this problem in
the first place.

I can see that directly configuring the host would be useful in some circumstances, but I
think it would be easier in more circumstances to be able to configure the header name for
the original host.

So I guess you are right and directly configuring the host is the best solution for now.
I'll let you know if I can find any more information on this.

david jencks

On Feb 10, 2011, at 6:28 AM, Ashish Jain wrote:

> Hi David,
> I am not sure if we can use the request object. The request (org.apache.geronimo.webservices.WebServiceContainer.Request)
object gives you the address for the remote host which is the address for the proxy server,
however no information on the port. Another way could have been to utilize the header "request.getHeader("X-Forwarded-Host")"
but this is not a standard header AFAIK. So this option can also to be ruled out. So I think
modifying the schema is the best way ahead.
> Thanks
> Ashish
> On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 6:34 PM, Ashish Jain <> wrote:
> Thanks David and Jarek. I am investigating on the comment made by David and seems to
have found some headers which are being appended by HTTP server. I will investigate further
in this direction to find out if the request object can be used to attain this.
> Thanks
> Ashish
> On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 1:06 AM, David Jencks <> wrote:
> Changing the schema like this shouldn't be a problem if its necessary.  I'd like to understand
better why its necessary.  Perhaps there's another way.
> I thought that the way this was coded was that the host and port from the incoming request
were stuffed into the wsdl being returned.  Doesn't the proxy server tell us what the original
request was in some way such as a request attribute?  Could we look for that information and
use it if available and use the request itself if not?
> thanks
> david jencks
> On Feb 7, 2011, at 10:39 AM, Jarek Gawor wrote:
> > Ashish,
> >
> > Modifying the schema (without changing the namespace) is fine as long
> > as you make the new element(s) optional. That at least is what we have
> > done in the past.
> >
> > Jarek
> >
> > On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 10:00 AM, Ashish Jain <> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> When geronimo is front ended with a proxy say Apache HTTP server and a web
> >> service is invoked via this proxy. The auto
> >> generated wsdl will have the soap:address as
> >> http://<g_host>:<g_port>/service_name. Instead it should be
> >> http://<proxy_host>:
> >> <proxy:port>/service_name. The method which takes care of all this is
> >> org.apache.geronimo.axis2.WSDLQueryHandler.writeResponse
> >> . The baseUri attribute in the class has to be modified so that appropriate
> >> soap:address can be written in the wsdl file.
> >>
> >> So as to get this property into geronimo one of the way would be to be able
> >> to specify in geronimo deployment descriptor.
> >> Adding a new attribute may require schema change.
> >>
> >> Is this acceptable? Are there any other alternative ways through which this
> >> can be achieved?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> Ashish

View raw message