geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jan-Kees van Andel <jankeesvanan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Classpath Scanner proposal
Date Sun, 27 Feb 2011 12:58:14 GMT
Hey Mark,

About the JSR proposal. I've actually been talking to some Oracle folks
about this idea some (like 3?) years ago. They didn't really like it, since
the classpath is only a VM implementation detail.
I proposed it, because back then there were already rumours about module
systems and writing a mechanism that relies on the classpath seemed like a
bad idea at that time. A JSR (like 277 back then) could keep annotation
scanning in mind while writing the spec.
I pinged them again (I think it was last year) and they responded that they
would think about adding an annotation scanner to Jigsaw, but a JSR was out
of the question.

I think mentioning their names here is inappropriate, but
they're influential people in the Java/JCP world...

This is not a reason to not write a framework or to not submit a JSR, but I
thought I'd mention it...

Ps. Maybe it's a good idea to "promote" XBean Finder and use it in
MyFaces/OWB/etc...?
Ps2. IIRC, we implemented our own scanner for MyFaces, for the simple reason
that it removes an additional dependency. But, OTOH, using XBean Finder with
the Maven Shade Plugin would also work...

Regards,
Jan-Kees