geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Add name-value configuration entry for the deployment scope ?
Date Mon, 14 Feb 2011 05:30:22 GMT
Hi Ivan,

If I understand your proposal this is what you can currently do in a maven geronimp plugin
project in the car-maven-plugin configuration where you specify which deployers to start.

I think this makes sense but I'd rather wait to implement it until we know more what a gbean-free
geronimo would look like.  I suspect that anything we do now would be obsolete later.

Would there be any confusion if you had a web app you wanted to deploy on either jetty or
tomcat but that included its own jsf?  Currently you could use the same plan for your jetty
or tomcat server but I think you'd need separate plans for your proposal.  I think this is
a minor problem that should not block this idea.

thanks!
david jencks

On Feb 13, 2011, at 5:59 AM, Ivan wrote:

> Hi, there are many configurations in the Geronimo codes, and all of them are system scope,
using System.getProperty. And seems that the only way to change it is to set -D while starting
Geronimo. Yes, some of them are of global scope, but some of them are only of deployment scope
( or should be deployment scope ). for example, in the past, while users want to use their
own JSF API and implementations, we always ask them to stop the MyFaces deployer, but if we
could have a configuration only takes affect in the deployment process, that would be easier.
> My proposal is that to add a configuration in the environment elements, those values
could be kept in the DeploymentContext.
> <deployment-configurations>
>     <deployment-configuration>
>         <name>****</name>
>          <value>****</value>
>      <deployment-configuration>
> </deployment-configuraitons>
>
> Aslo, we might be able to allow the users to configure them in the deployment portlet,
also, might be consider how to take advantage of the config-admin service.