On Jan 23, 2011, at 7:27 PM, Shawn Jiang wrote:

I would agree the goal to use a single deploy directory  is reasonable.   But we still have many details to handle for the goal.

We need to handle WAB with geornimo-web.xml  (an error or a warning in console about the context usage conflict ?)

Another problem,  current OSGi bundle hot deployment would not create a repository item.   But as a ee artifact, we'll copy it to repository and then add an config.xml item for it.  the lifecycle is not the same here.

There's a giant question of what the local repository is for, this is a small subset of that question.  I think that Ivan has been working to make the geronimo plugin lifecycle compatible with osgi bundle lifecycle.  At that point we shouldn't need to use config.xml to keep track of which plugins are started since osgi will be doing it for us.

Our current use of the local repository is extremely space-inefficient since osgi copies the contents into its internal bundle storage area.  (the hot deploy directory has the same problem).  I'm inclined to think that we should at least give users the option of not having a local repo but running off of a maven repo more directly.  Alternatively we might be able to look into translating mvn bundle location urls that are actually in the local repo into file reference urls.  I suspect the latter would be impossible to prevent users from trying to install an already-installed bundle from the local repo using a mvn url.

lots to think about...

thanks
david jencks