geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Upgrade to Tomcat 7.0.6
Date Mon, 17 Jan 2011 03:34:54 GMT

On Jan 16, 2011, at 9:39 PM, Rex Wang wrote:

> I prefer 7.0.6.0, as an private build always means an official build plus some extra
fixes, no matter where the fixes are from (us or tomcat community)..

I'll try to be more explicit...

There are two types of changes which can be made to our Tomcat externals releases -- the Geronimo
integration updates, which is the fundamental reason why we have our Tomcat externals releases
(and are changes about which our community has a good understanding), and additional Tomcat
functional changes (e.g. bug fixes).

Until we (as a community) are prepared to review and discuss all of the changes that may have
occurred in Tomcat's svn between a "release" (e.g. 7.0.6) and the "current" 7.0.x Tomcat development
branch, we should only be utilizing Tomcat "releases" as the basis for our Tomcat externals
releases.

If there are additional bug fixes which we feel are absolutely vital, then the community needs
to provide review and oversight of these changes on a case-by-case basis. I don't feel that
occurs, if we start with a 7.0.x "SNAPSHOT" of Tomcat.

So, we should start with 7.0.6. Then, if we feel additional changes are really important,
convince the community of each and every additional change and insure that the changes are
appropriately reviewed by the Geronimo community.

--kevan