geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From andronat_asf <andronat_...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: ASF Mentoring Program
Date Tue, 14 Dec 2010 21:20:19 GMT
I mostly thank you all for your replies!

	I like developing most of all and this is my main target! I don't really know where to start
from, because all aspects seam so exciting and interesting xD. I think I would start by setting
up Geronimo and get busy with GERONIMO-5729 right after.

	My problem however is that I am new all these issues regarding the community and I am not
sure whom I'm supposed to mail if I get stuck or if I need to ensure that I am doing the right
thing... I would also like to ask if there are any tools that can help me do the job faster?

I also made a JIRA account as you proposed; My username is: andronat

On 13 Δεκ 2010, at 4:21 π.μ., Kevan Miller wrote:

> On Dec 10, 2010, at 10:24 AM, andronat_asf wrote:
>

>> 	Hello my name is Anastasis Andronidis, I am an undergraduate Computer Science student
in the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, and it would be of my utmost interest to participate
in the ASF Mentoring Program. I would be delighted to offer the best of my efforts to the
Geronimo project.

>> 	My main interest lies in developing and bug testing. I am also enrolled in opense.net,
 an educational framework supported by my university,and where currently the ASF has expressed
their interest in finding mentees

or https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-5729 or
>> anything else that the community believes is more needed.
>>
>> 	Apart from completing the mandatory project in the 'Introduction to Software Engineering'
course, the main reason for me wanting to join the ASF Mentoring program is that more than
anything to contribute to the Open Source community, not to mention the experience I would
gain by working for the most accomplished community that developed really popular projects
including the most popular, Apache Web-Server

>> 	I am new to all this and I don't really know what I exactly have to do for being
accepted as a mentee in this program, so any advice would be more than welcome!

> Hi Anastasis,
> Your contributions would be quite welcome. If a specific mentor is needed, then I expect
that we can find a committer to volunteer within the community. However, I also expect that
the entire community would be happy to help.

> The Jira's you mention are in separate components of the server. GERONIMO-5717 involves
the Geronimo Eclipse Plugin (GEP) and interactions with server configuration. GERONIMO-5729
has to do with the content of our default web pages. Do you have any specific interests? Eclipse/IDE
development? Web Applications? OSGi? Middleware components? Geronimo is a large project. There
are lots of options for you... :-) I recommend you focus on a single aspect of the project...

> Starting with a few bug-fix Jira's is an excellent way to get started on the project.
However, you may want to also consider a small development effort. Perhaps somebody has some
ideas for you...

> If you tell us what your Jira login is, we can give you 'contributor' access to the Geronimo
Jira's. This would allow you to assign Jira's to yourself (a way of letting everyone else
know that you are investigating a specific problem).

> Would probably be a good idea for you to submit an ICLA. See - http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas
>
> The Geronimo project allows contributors additional access to our Jira and Wiki system.
So, that contributors can assign Jira issues to themselves and also contribute documentation
using our Wiki system.