geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: public domain license header found when doing rat:check with 22 branch.
Date Tue, 30 Nov 2010 16:03:21 GMT

On Nov 30, 2010, at 4:17 AM, Shawn Jiang wrote:

> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/server/branches/2.2/plugins/concurrent/geronimo-concurrent-core/src/main/java/org/apache/geronimo/concurrent/harmony
>
> FutureTask.java
> ThreadPoolExecutor.java
> RejectedExecutionHandler.java
>

> I could found following license head instead of ASL in the source code above.
> /*
> * Written by Doug Lea with assistance from members of JCP JSR-166
> * Expert Group and released to the public domain, as explained at
> * http://creativecommons.org/licenses/publicdomain
> */
>
> Can anyone suggest if we should do something with these source code ?

Hi Shawn,
Good question.

First, in general, creative commons copyright-only dedication is a valid source license for
an Apache project -- http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-a . More specifically,
see http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#concurrent . So, those source files are fine
from a legal perspective.

Next question is how should we handle the licensing? Our choices are:

1) Treat the Copyright-Only Dedication as a license. Or,
2) License the files under AL2.

Unless we've altered the source (beyond package rename), I think we should do 1).

Since these files are in our source tree (and not included from a binary dependency), we should
license in two places: 1) the boilerplate underlay LICENSE (this handles our binary distributions)
and 2) server/branches/2.2/LICENSE (this handles our source distribution).

--kevan