geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [tranql-dev] move tranql to java 1.6?
Date Tue, 02 Nov 2010 12:05:19 GMT

On Nov 2, 2010, at 12:07 AM, David Jencks wrote:

> I've been unable to compile tranql to try out a couple patches and release since apple
removed java 1.5 from my mac and I haven't figured out how to get it back yet.

> Perhaps its time to move tranql to java 1.6 with the new methods on the sql interfaces?
 I'd assume we'd keep java 1.5 compatible class format.  There's a patch that I think does
this, although it looks like it has some additional problems that would need ironing out.

> Does anyone know if this will create problems running tranql on java 1.5 with java 1.5
compliant drivers?

If you have a backup of your Mac w/ a working Java 1.5, you can get a true Java 1.5 running.
In /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/ I've created a 1.5-leopard directory
with Java 1.5 from my backup. I sym-link 1.5 and 1.5.0 to this old 1.5-leopard. From time
to time, Snow Leopard Java updates overwrite these symlinks (and you start running Java 6).
Rewriting the symlinks to 1.5-leopard has, so far, restored my old Java 1.5...

I'm not sure I completely understand what you intend to do. IIUC:

1) Use Java 6 JDK to compile Java 1.5 classes. That seems fine.

2) It's not clear to me if you intend to use the new 1.6 sql methods? IMO, we still want a
relatively current version of TranQL that can run on Java 1.5 runtimes. So, we either need
to avoid usage of the new methods or have a Java 6 and a pre-Java 6 branch, with and without
the new SQL methods.

--kevan