geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Rick McGuire <rick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Bean validation tck failures and JNDI contexts
Date Thu, 21 Oct 2010 18:10:38 GMT
On 10/21/2010 12:58 PM, David Jencks wrote:
> umm...
>
> doing a naming lookup should only throw NamingExceptions.... so I think what should happen
is that the reference should wrap the ValidationException in a NamingException.  Will this
mess up the tck?
This seems like the correct thing to do, but unfortunately, it didn't
work.  The problem is in the xbean
ContextUtil$ReadOnlyBinding.getObject() method:

         public  Object  getObject() {
             try  {
                 return  resolve(value,getName(),null,context);
             }catch  (NamingException  e) {
                 throw  new  RuntimeException(e);
             }
         }

This is catching the NamingException and turning it into a
RuntimeException.  This doesn't seem correct to me, but the Binding
interface it implements does not throw any checked exceptions, so this
is the only way this error can get reflected back.

Looking at the call chain, I'm thinking that
ContextFederation.getFederatedBindings() should catch RuntimeExceptions
and and either turn them into NamingExceptions or just ignore the
exception like it does with the NotContextExceptions.

Rick

> thanks
> david jencks
>
> On Oct 21, 2010, at 9:34 AM, David Jencks wrote:
>
>> Hi Rick,
>>
>> The code that does the lookup is here in the jetty integration code: (GeronimoWebAppContext
near line 104)

>>         try {
>>             javax.naming.Context ctx = integrationContext.getComponentContext();
>>             Object validatorFactory = ctx.lookup("comp/ValidatorFactory");
>>             setAttribute("javax.faces.validator.beanValidator.ValidatorFactory",
validatorFactory);
>>         } catch (NamingException e) {
>>             // ignore.  We just don't set the property if it's not available.
>>         }
>>

>> I suspect it used to pass because we were only using default validatory factories
so we could always create one.  Either that, or we used to throw a NamingException when we
failed (the code you quote catches a naming exception....).

>> I wonder if a better solution would be to also catch and ignore a ValidationException
here?

>> thanks
>> david jencks
>>
>> On Oct 21, 2010, at 7:55 AM, Rick McGuire wrote:
>>
>>> I played around with different solutions and finally came up with something that
fixes the problem.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure what I did is legitimate or not.  The root
problem here is the naming reference implementations were throwing ValidationExceptions for
any failures with creating a ValidatorFactory.  This probably was the behavior that should
be implemented, but unfortunately, the getFederatedBindings() processing was triggering the
resolution of these objects and the resulting exceptions were causing deploy failures.  The
test cases in question were testing the very conditions that triggered the exceptions.  The
exception was raised, but at deploy time, resulting in a test case failure.

>>> I managed to fix this by having the reference objects we bind into jndi catch
the exceptions and just return null.  Everything is passing in the TCK now, but I'm not sure
returning null is the correct thing to do here.

>>> I'm not really sure how we every were passing 100% in the container with the
original code.  I would have thought that if the same sequence of calls were getting made
to resolve the provider, then some of the same failures would have been seen.  I'm going to
hold off on committing my changes until I get some feedback on this.

>>> Rick

are a little puzzling.   The tests in error are all giving deploy failures, with the root
cause being an exception triggered by getFederatedBindings():

exception is javax.validation.ValidationException: Unable to find suitable provider: class
org.hibernate.jsr303.tck.common.TCKValidationProvider]

 Since this occurs during the building of the federated context, I suspect the initial context
is not initialized correctly at this phase.  There's a bit of a chicken-and-egg problem here.
 The buildDefaultValidatorFactory() call is failing because the incorrect thread context classloader
is getting used to resolve the provider.

in the first place.  Since this binding will create a new instance each time it is requested,
either A) an instance is getting created needlessly and thrown away or B) this instance is
ending up bound to the JNDI context as a one-off, which would be an incorrect result.

ValidatorFactoryGBean to obtain the factory used to create the ValidatorInstance rather than
doing a jndi lookup, but I want to verify that the lookup occurring at this point is the correct
behavior and there's not a better solution available.