geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Rick McGuire <rick...@gmail.com>
Subject What should be made available via Geronimo dist?
Date Thu, 14 Oct 2010 12:24:01 GMT
  A question came up recently in this Jira

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YOKO-430

about what should be available for download from the Geronimo dist
site.  Currently, only the server releases are available for download.
All of the rest of the components released by the project are only
available from the maven central repository.  The Apache rules seem to
suggest that is not correct practice.  It is certainly a discussion that
needs to take place.

There are some fairly obvious questions that would need to be decided to
implement putting additional components on dist:

1)  What should be included?  A good starting list from the svn tree
would include subprojects released from

     bundles
     components
     daytrader
     javamail
     specs
     xbean
     yoko

The external subproject might be a candidate too, but these are really
only used in Geronimo releases, so I suspect we might not want to put
them on dist.  genesis, gshell, and samples might also be candidates.

2)  How should dist be organized?  Currently, the directory has a subdir
for each server release and a subdir for eclipse releases.  I suspect we
might want to create a subdir for server releases to organize things a
little better.  For the other components, we might want to consider
mimicing the maven repository organization, although we could drop the
org/apache levels of the tree since those are shared by other
subcomponents.

3)  Should existing downloads be reorganized into this new structure?
It might be difficult to locate all links to these downloads, so we
might not want to move any existing components.

4)  Should the downloads be seeded with all existing releases or only
new releases be added?

5)  How should the download pages be organized?

6)  Can any of this process be automated?  There are a lot of details
involved with releasing things.  The more we can automate, the better.

Rick