geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Are we getting close to being able to have a 3.0-M2 release?
Date Thu, 21 Oct 2010 03:24:30 GMT

On Oct 20, 2010, at 6:38 PM, Shawn Jiang wrote:

> Is activemq a must-have ?  JMS is not a part of web-profile.

I'd rather ship with amq if it works.  It's pretty useful -- I'd say more useful that remote
ejbs.

> Openwebbeans is releasing 1.0.0, could we just use it ?

no, we need some bug fixes.

david jencks

> On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 2:32 AM, Rick McGuire <rickmcg@gmail.com> wrote:
> We've made a lot of progress on Geronimo 3.0 since the M1 release and are starting to
get close to passing the Web Profile TCK.  I'm thinking it's time to start discussing plans
for doing another release update.

> I'm assuming we'd want to do this shortly after we can be certified as passing the Web
Profile TCK.  At that time, we'll have a number of SNAPSHOT dependencies we'll need to have
releases on.  The biggest dependencies that will need to resolved (and which likely can only
be handled after getting the TCK to pass cleanly) are openejb, openwebbeans, and xbean.  Two
other critical components we'd need are a new tomcat external release and a Jetty release
(currently using 8.0.0.M2-SNAPSHOT)

> Other snapshots we're using:
>
> - the txmanager and connector  (probably can only be released toward the end)
> - jaspi (probably can be released at any time)
> - the ejb spec (probably can be released at any time)
> - the el spec (Just had an update to a number of files, might want to wait a little on
this one).
> - scout (used only for web services, so this will likely be removed).
> - axiom (ditto)
> - activemq 5.4-SNAPSHOT (5.4.1 is out...can we use that one?  This is something we should
investigate now).

> For the 3.0-M1 release, the big hold up was the long chain of snapshot dependencies that
needed to be resolved.  The more we can get resolved now, the better the chances of avoiding
the same chain-reaction pileup we experienced the last time.

> Implicit in the above is the M2 release would receive the same sort of pruning that was
performed on the M1 release to remove all of the web services elements that really have not
had received any attention yet.  If not, then we'll need to chase after some additional components
like scout.