On Jul 14, 2010, at 8:32 PM, Rex Wang wrote:

On Jul 13, 2010, at 7:56 PM, Rex Wang wrote:

Hi,

I suggest we stop using ${project.version} in 3.0's pom.
This maven variable will magicly change when I create a new sub-project which has it own version.
For example,
When I create a new server assembly "abc" under the assemblies project, and the abc's pom has it own version 3.0.0.0:
    <parent>
        <groupId>org.apache.geronimo.assemblies</groupId>
        <artifactId>assemblies</artifactId>
        <version>3.0-M1</version>
    </parent>

    <groupId>c.i.w.assemblies</groupId>
    <artifactId>abc</artifactId>
    <version>3.0.0.0</version>
    <packaging>server-assembly</packaging>

Then, in its effective pom, maven will replace all the ${project.version} defined in parent pom with 3.0.0.0

I think we use ${geronimoVersion} instead and specify geronimoVersion explicitly in root pom.

Thoughts?

I think this is a really bad idea.  In your example above, you should not have the explicit version <version>3.0.0.0</version>

Generally, if you want a different version for a particular project, put the project in a different tree without a file system parent pom.
It will save a lot of time to create a custom assembly with geronimo's parent pom..and if all the sub-poms can not have its version and must use {project.version}, which is actually the geronimo root pom's version. What's the difference/risk between using a geronimoVersion property and that? Actually, geronimoVersion has already been used in 3.0-m1 & trunk...

Months later.....  I think I understand the circumstances you are talking about.

I agree with you that this is a big problem.  Hardcoding the version will also work since the release plugin is good at updating it everywhere necessary.    I guess using the property will be slightly more convenient.

thanks
david jencks

-Rex

There are a few special cases like the bundles.... even those probably shouldn't have a file system parent pom (not actually sure if they do right now).

thanks
david jencks

--
Lei Wang (Rex)