geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [Discussion]Add more context level configurations for Tomcat
Date Wed, 01 Sep 2010 05:59:44 GMT

On Aug 30, 2010, at 11:21 PM, viola lu wrote:

> Hi, dev:
>  I am working on the "Add more context level configurations for Tomcat" jira: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-5557.
> Currently geronimo supports : work-dir, cross-context, cookies(disablecookies), docbase,
path(context-path),allowlinking, after going through tomcat 7.0 context configuration page:http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/context.html,
here I list what I think we should add:

> logEffectiveWebXml
> useHttpOnly
> cacheMaxSize
> cacheObjectMaxSize
> cachingAllowed
> unloadDelay
>
> Now there are two ways to add these context support:
> add these context configuration as elements one by one in geronimo-tomcat-2.0.1.xsd,
and then map them with GBean paramters.
> add all context  configuration as one attribute in geronimo-tomcat-2.0.1.xsd, for example,
> <xs:attribute name="context-options" type="xs:string" use="optional">
> and filter this attribute avoiding any side effect, then map every configuration with
corrresponding Gbean paramters.

> The first one make code clear, the second one is easy for end-users to configure context
in geronimo-web.xml for web apps.

Hi viola,

It looks to me from the tomcat documentation that context.xml uses the first style, with individual
elements for each attribute.  I think making the configuration look more like context.xml
would be a good idea, including using the same case for attribute names.

It looks like context.xml also lets you set servlet context parameters.  It its not too much
work that might be nice for us to do too.

thanks
david jencks