geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Rick McGuire <rick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: New OSGi related portlet and json lib?
Date Tue, 07 Sep 2010 10:14:52 GMT
  On 9/6/2010 5:25 AM, Rex Wang wrote:
> Hi devs,
>
> I have an OSGi related portlet and hope can commit to trunk, but
> before that, there are a couple of issues need your insight.
> 1.
> Currently, this portlet have 2 functions:
> One is to view all the bundles installed in karaf framework and their
> status,  menifest, etc.
> The other one is user can use it to install bundles into karaf.
> However, I am uncertain if we should provide this function to end
> users. Because in spite of we can install bundles by using "geronimo
> run" and go into the karaf shell, it seems we intentionally hide the
> karaf shell to users and don't recommend user to do that. Then, should
> we provide the "install bundle" function in web console?
I don't see why this function should not be provided to the end users,
although I also don't need to see the need to advertise that this is the
"karaf shell" vs. the "geronimo server".  The console functions should
be displaying the bundles installed on the server, allow you to install
additional bundles in the server respository, etc.

I have more concerns about this duplicating the function of the
repository portlet.  I think some of the information and functions
you're describing probably should be performed as repository management
operations.  For example, installing a bundle should involve adding the
jar to the repository and then installing it in the framework.

> 2.
> To make our console work better/easier with dojo/ajax, we might
> re-bundle the json lib and build it with our server.
> The new OSGi portlets and some other potential pages(Shawn ever talked
> with me about this) need consume it to code easily.
> Is there any issue you foresee about this? I have viewed the license
> of json at http://www.json.org/license.html, seems it is very friendly.

This looks like something we can easily release in bundle form.