geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: ${project.version} is a problem..
Date Tue, 21 Sep 2010 22:20:01 GMT

On Jul 14, 2010, at 8:32 PM, Rex Wang wrote:

> On Jul 13, 2010, at 7:56 PM, Rex Wang wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I suggest we stop using ${project.version} in 3.0's pom.
>> This maven variable will magicly change when I create a new sub-project which has
it own version.
>> For example,
>> When I create a new server assembly "abc" under the assemblies project, and the abc's
pom has it own version 3.0.0.0:
>>     <parent>
>>         <groupId>org.apache.geronimo.assemblies</groupId>
>>         <artifactId>assemblies</artifactId>
>>         <version>3.0-M1</version>
>>     </parent>
>>
>>     <groupId>c.i.w.assemblies</groupId>
>>     <artifactId>abc</artifactId>
>>     <version>3.0.0.0</version>
>>     <packaging>server-assembly</packaging>
>>
>> Then, in its effective pom, maven will replace all the ${project.version} defined
in parent pom with 3.0.0.0

>> I think we use ${geronimoVersion} instead and specify geronimoVersion explicitly
in root pom.

>> Thoughts?
>
> I think this is a really bad idea.  In your example above, you should not have the explicit
version <version>3.0.0.0</version>

> Generally, if you want a different version for a particular project, put the project
in a different tree without a file system parent pom.
> It will save a lot of time to create a custom assembly with geronimo's parent pom..and
if all the sub-poms can not have its version and must use {project.version}, which is actually
the geronimo root pom's version. What's the difference/risk between using a geronimoVersion
property and that? Actually, geronimoVersion has already been used in 3.0-m1 & trunk...

Months later.....  I think I understand the circumstances you are talking about.

I agree with you that this is a big problem.  Hardcoding the version will also work since
the release plugin is good at updating it everywhere necessary.    I guess using the property
will be slightly more convenient.

thanks
david jencks

> -Rex
>
> There are a few special cases like the bundles.... even those probably shouldn't have
a file system parent pom (not actually sure if they do right now).