geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Rick McGuire <rick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [discuss]Web profile assemblies
Date Mon, 23 Aug 2010 10:10:03 GMT
  On 8/20/2010 4:36 PM, Lin Sun wrote:
> It seems hard to remove javamail given openejb depends on it.   At
> least for the javamail schema for JNDI, which is used by the
> openejb-client.
>
> Also, I don't quite understand this comment in G roomt pom.xml -
>
>             <!-- Use org.apache.geronimo.javamail/geronimo-javamail_1.4_mail
>                uber jar containing both the spec and the providers in order that
>                users can actually use mail without advanced degrees in geronimo
>                classloading.  DO NOT add or replace this with
>                org.apache.geronimo.specs/geronimo-javamail_1.4_spec -->
>              <dependency>
>                  <groupId>org.apache.geronimo.javamail</groupId>
>                  <artifactId>geronimo-javamail_1.4_mail</artifactId>
>                  <version>1.8.1</version>
>              </dependency>
>
> This seems to indicate that it is recommended to have java mail spec
> and impl together as dependency, instead of just using the spec jar.

The uber jar is required in order for the Geronimo mail component to
work correctly, since it configures the various transport
implementations.  If that is removed, it might be possible to revert to
just the spec jar, but I think I'd recommend against it because it makes
it more difficult to incrementally add the full javamail support back in.

Rick