geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Rick McGuire <rick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [discuss]Web profile assemblies
Date Fri, 20 Aug 2010 14:22:01 GMT
  On 8/20/2010 10:09 AM, Lin Sun wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am checking at our web profile assemblies to ensure it met the
> requirements for Java EE 6 web profile and prune the unnecessary
> artifacts.   I've been mainly look at the tomcat7-javaee6-web and I
> have some comments/questions:
>
> felix core: i assume we'll always ship 2 osgi runtime?
>
> connector (geronimo-connector, geronimo-connector-builder, connector
> spec):  I think openejb uses connector, so we may have to keep it in.

I think the connector architecture is used for more than just openejb.

> java ee management 1.1:   Unchanged from Java EE 5.  I assume this is
> provided by geronimo-management.  Not sure if we could remove this?

This one will probably need to stay in order to provide a server that
can be remotely managed well.

> java ee deployment 1.2 related:  Unchanged from Java EE 5.   we may
> have to keep it in, to keep existing deployment work.

We'll certainly want to keep this one.

> geronimo-javamail: can we get rid of it?  think the answer is yes.
>
> geronimo-jaspi: can we get rid of it?  think the answer is yes.
>
> geronimo-webservices, geronimo-webservices-builder:  think we could
> remove these.
>
> geronimo-yoko, yoko: think we could remove these.

I suspect these cannot be removed, since these are also the
implementations of the RMI functions.

> spec jars: we seems to include all specs in web profile assembly.
> things that can be removed:  aspic, jaxr, jaxrpc, jaxws, dims, saaj,
> ccpp?
ccpp is used by the pluto portal, so that one will be a little more
difficult to remove.

> mina: think we could remove it... not sure which web profile function
> it related to.
>
> ops4j, pax-loggin-api, pax-url-mvn, pax-url-wrap: think these are just
> test dependencies that were put into the assembly incorrectly.
>
> tranql: think we could remove it.

I really doubt tranql can be removed.  That is where the implementation
of most of the connectors comes from.