geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Rick McGuire <rick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: NOTICE files in the spec projects
Date Fri, 20 Aug 2010 13:22:53 GMT
  On 8/20/2010 8:55 AM, Kevan Miller wrote:
> On Aug 20, 2010, at 6:07 AM, Rick McGuire wrote:
>
>> This version of the file appears to be generated automatically by the build (not
sure what plugin does this).  The descriptive name "Annotation 1.1" is taken directly from
the project pom.  Note that all of the Geronimo specs have this same problem, so the correction
will need to be applied to all of the projects in trunk.  So before I go changing anything,
I'd like to have consensus on what I need to be changing this to.  So,

>> 1)  What should be the format of the description in the binary jar file?  On the
vote thread, Kevan suggested "Apache Geronimo" or "Apache Geronimo Annotation Spec".  Since
this is generated from the project pom, I don't think using "Apache Geronimo" is best option.
 I suspect we might want to maintain the spec version number in this as well, so "Apache Geronimo
Annotation 1.1 Spec" or "Apache Geronimo Common Annotation 1.1 Spec" would be better.  I believe
Kevan's biggest objection was with the missing "Apache Geronimo" designation.
> Right the NOTICE should contain the project name (Apache Geronimo). We can add the subproject
info. Personally, I don't think the spec version is necessary, but don't have a problem with
it being there.

Since this value comes from the project descriptive name in the pom,
there's considerable value leaving the spec version number in there.
This values shows up in multiple places, including in the MANIFEST.MF.

Rick

>> 2)  Should the source NOTICE file be kept as is or changed to match the generated
NOTICE file?  Keeping these the same is definitely a manual process, so there's a good chance
there will be drift over time.  I suspect there's also a good chance that new projects will
get created by using an existing project as a model, so it's also likely that mismatches will
get included that way.  I think I would lean toward using the common source NOTICE file with
the generic "Apache Geronimo" name.