geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Geronimo web profile 3.0 startup time
Date Tue, 17 Aug 2010 01:49:45 GMT

On Aug 16, 2010, at 6:25 PM, Ivan wrote:

> Hi
>     Recently, I looked at a little about the Geronimo web-profile 3.0 startup time, comparing
with the 2.2 release, the components below takes more time :
>     a. Start up Tomcat container, it took 3s while 2s in the past. At first glance at
it, it is caused by TomcatServerGBean, guess that it is due to the new Tomcat 7, will double
check it later.
>     b. ApplicationJndi GBean is also an issue, for the simple remote-deploy-webapplication,
it tooks more than 3s to startup the ApplicationJndi GBean.
>     c. System-database also takes 11s at the first time startup, and it should be caused
by some DB initialization work, we might try to do some initialization work in the building
time.

>     Generally speaking, the most problem is for the item b, not sure why it took so much
time for the jndi building, I have not checked it, anyone has ideas on it ? Another thing
is that, in the past, I have some concern for the bundle copying, but currently, it seems
that it does not affect the startup time too much :-)

I think (b) is caused by something in xbean-naming federation code.  Overall the xbean-naming
federation seems to be quite slow.  I haven't investigated why.  It seems to be fairly hard
to write a working jndi implementation and there aren't really any tests for what it should
do AFAIK.  I think the jndi implementation in openejb has some better design choices: the
main one is that the Context implementation is clearly separated from the actual jndi tree
data.  I don't know if we'll have time to try to speed this up before 3.0, but at least we
know a little bit about where a major problem is.

For (c) I wonder if derby is doing more work than it needs to.  Are we on an up to date version
of derby?

It's great to have this info about what is taking too much startup time even if we can't do
much about it right now.

thanks
david jencks