geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to detect status of server instance?
Date Sun, 22 Aug 2010 20:18:45 GMT

> This isn't enough information for me.
>
> What do you want to do with the information that, for instance, a karaf instance started
but no geronimo bundles were started?  You have no idea how to contact this karaf instance
with this information, nor any information about what it can do.

I think we should target our common/intended use cases, which IMO is running geronimo *servers*,
not karaf instances...

> I don't think we should support this. I can understand trying to communicate with a server
that can do something, but  not detecting that a jvm started with some stuff running that
has no way to communicate with the outside world.

> Maybe if you explain your goals I'll start thinking this might be useful....

IIUC, Rex wants to be able to detect running instances of Geronimo servers. This could be
used by install/uninstall programs or other management tools for administering Geronimo servers.

Personally, I'd like to understand what this code would look like. Is a patch available?

I think our handling of multiple server instances could be improved. Aids to help with the
creation, configuration, and control of server instances. Capturing information about running
server instances might help us with some of these issues...

--kevan