geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Transaction manager versions
Date Wed, 11 Aug 2010 22:35:13 GMT

> I'm not sure we have plausible versions for our tm components.
>
> trunk is at 3.1-SNAPSHOT has has (same as the released 3.0) improved recovery support
which required an api change and also supports j2ca 1.6 which extends j2ca 1.5.  I'm not sure
if this means we extended the geronimo APIs that support this stuff or changed them

> branches 2.1 is at 2.1.5-SNAPSHOT.  This also contains the recovery API changes compared
with the last release 2.1.4

> All of these have been released as bundles with osgi versions 2.1.4 and 3.0.
>
> trunk:  I think there are no api changes, just internal bug fixes between 3.0 and 3.1.
 So I think the osgi package version for the next release should be 3.0.1.  I suggest we change
the maven version to 3.0.0.1-SNAPSHOT and release it at 3.0.1 (so the release is after the
snapshot using osgi version ordering)

Sounds good.

> branches 2.1.  This is harder.  The api change means the osgi version should be 3, which
is already used.  If the changes from j2ca 1.5 to 1.6 didn't actually change the api we could
reuse the 3.0 version. I think they did however.  I suspect that no one was actually using
the api that changed: the expected "customer" openejb wasn't.  So I'm inclined to ignore the
osgi rules and put the version and osgi version at 2.2 when we release.

> thoughts?  anyone have more sensible ideas on this?

2.2 seems like the only/most reasonable solution. So, agreed...

--kevan