geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Schema version number update ?
Date Thu, 19 Aug 2010 02:52:30 GMT
IIUC xml schema versioning best practice is to make sure the changes are backward compatible,
keep the schema namespace the same, and have something like a version attribute you bump up.

We are going to have some non-backward compatible changes in the environment element for some
3.x version since how we specify classloaders has completely changed.  I wonder if this would
be a good time to carefully reexamine out schemas and use a more recommended approach?

cf http://www.pluralsight-training.net/community/blogs/tewald/archive/2006/04/14/21733.aspx

thanks
david jencks

On Aug 18, 2010, at 6:12 PM, Ivan wrote:

> Comments ?
>
> 2010/8/17 chi runhua <chirunhua@gmail.com>
> Agree.  Doc will need updates as well and users might be interested in such changes if
they plan to migrate from 2.x to 3.0.

> Jeff
>

> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 4:00 PM, Ivan <xhhsld@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>     We might need to update some schemas, like openejb-jar, tomcat might also needed.
IMO, we need to update the version number in each release when we did changes to the schema
files, right ? However, I find that geronimo-openejb-2.0.xsd has been existed there for a
long time, and many changes are done to it, but we never update the schema version number.