geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: JCDI and Bean Validation TCKs
Date Tue, 20 Jul 2010 07:05:17 GMT

On Jul 19, 2010, at 10:37 PM, Jarek Gawor wrote:

> My main concern is that if we move the JCDI and Bean Validation
> porting code to public svn location then we will effectively have two
> mailing lists for discussing tck issues, two jira places for filing
> and tracking tck challenges, possibly two wiki places for tck info,
> etc. And we will have to be extra careful to discuss a given tck
> problem on the right list... and sooner or later somebody will use the
> wrong list.
> Yes, it would be nice to have this stuff in open but I'm just
> wondering how much headache it will be to keep track of it all and
> maintain it.

I think its going to be significantly harder to maintain out in the open and there is much
more likelyhood of slips in talking about NDA stuff on public lists, but I don't think we
have any good argument for keeping the harnesses for these tcks in the private svn.  IMO ideally
all the tcks would be public so I feel a bit morally obligated to put anything that can be
public, in public.

thanks
david jencks

> Jarek
>
> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 12:44 AM, David Blevins <david.blevins@visi.com> wrote:
>> Currently we have these setup in the private svn where the Java EE TCK porting modules
live.  The JCDI and Bean Validation TCKs are public Apache licensed, so we could move the
porting modules for those two TCKs into our public svn.

>> The part of my brain that finds esthetic pleasure in filling cabinets likes everything
all organized in the one VM, but the part of me that likes to be more public than private
thinks it's unnecessarily restrictive to make people sign the Sun/Apache NDA to get access
to things not under that restriction.  Specifically, everyone in the related communities (OpenWebBeans,
OpenEJB) could easily access the public TCKs.  Mark and Gurkan fall into that category now.
 Both are in the process of getting NDAs filled, but we could definitely speed that up by
opening the porting code to the public.

>> We might even be able to work the JCDI and Bean Validation into our larger test suite
right in the main build as they only take a moments to run.